Sunday 15 March 2020

Fighting A Migraine

INTRODUCING
FIGHTING A MIGRAINE
(AKA MIGS)















STANDARD TWEEP TATTLER INTERVIEW:

1) Where do you live? 

I live in the Southeast USA, the deep south I suppose. I have been here for a number of years, but I am from the Midwest. I miss the winter weather of the north. I don’t get to see much snow here…

2) What is the first thing you remember writing?
As a kid, maybe 10 to 12 years old, I used to write fantasy stories, in long hand on lined paper. I had grand ambitions for these stories, but I would usually abandon them after writing a chapter of what was to be a book. When I was older, I liked to write short humorous stories with friends in high school.  We came up with all kinds of inside jokes, so something that sounded just a bit weird, or maybe even like a normal story, would be totally hilarious to us. No one understood why… just as we wanted it!

3) Why do you write? 
I didn’t pursue creative writing after high school. I went on to more school and then a job and never really thought about writing as a creative outlet. I started my Twitter account (@ominoushallways) on May 1, 2019. I had no idea what I would do with it. After a bit, I found #vss365 and tried my hand at writing some microfiction and poetry. I was very unsure of myself. I hashtagged one of my first poems with #SortaLikePoetry. I wasn’t even sure the poem counted as a poem. I am untrained and never wrote any poetry. But I found that it was an amazing outlet to express myself. I could dig deep and really talk about a feeling, a fear, a hope, a question, an idea. I could get brave and be silly. It was all great. I planned just to write one story or poem each day, but I got hooked on it. And of course I got connected into the #WritingCommunity, which has been amazing.

4) Have you published any of your work?   
No, I never have. I am planning to collect some of my Twitter poems into a book. Several people have encouraged me to do this, notably @ForgottenAstro2. It is exciting, but I need to find the time to do it. I would like to find other ways to publish some poems and eventually longer work.

5) What are you currently writing? 
I am just doing poems and stories on Twitter at the moment. I would like to write some longer stories and come up with a WIP. Again the #WritingCommunity has been very supportive of this idea. People like the amazing @AuthorRidge have encouraged me. I am not sure how to do it yet. But I have gone from thinking it would be impossible to thinking maybe it is possible. Maybe.

6) Are you currently querying? 
Nope. Just dreaming…

7) Finish this sentence (three lines or less):
IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT… 

…just the way he liked it. Usually. But tonight of all nights. The night he decided to exact revenge by digging up his dead relatives. The rain-soaked ground slid from under him. He was buried alive in the half unearthed grave of his brother. Until the lightning hit, bringing them both back to life…*

[*More than three lines, but most of them are not even complete sentences.]

8) Which activities do you like to participate in, in the Twitter writing community (VSS365, etc.)? 
I like doing a few of the prompts, notably #vss365, #hangtenstories, #haikuchallenge, #TankaThursday and a few others. I am moderating #vsspic, which is a photo prompt hashtag. That has been really fun. I enjoy interacting with other writers. I try to participate in some of the games and camaraderie. As my account has grown, and the notifications have increased, it is harder to have time to read as much of other people’s tweets as I would like. But I really love reading what people write and commenting and interacting. That is a pure joy because so many people are friendly, smart, warm and talented. And funny. I like humor.

9) Do you have any formal training/education for writing?
I did a lot of writing in college. I was a history major with a minor in English literature. I was writing all the time. And I write for my job. But none of that involved creative writing. So I have no training for what I have been doing on Twitter. I never wrote a poem until my Twitter account, and I still do not know the rules of poetry. So maybe it is all trash, but I just write what feels right to me to express a thought or idea. I started to use poetry because I felt I could express more in 280 characters in a poem than in microfiction. 

10) Do the people in your life know that you write?
My wife knows and supports it. I have vaguely mentioned it to a few friends, but I am anonymous on my Twitter so I can just write what I want without having to worry about what my real life friends and family might think. I find it more comfortable that way and a bit freeing. I have Twitter friends of course who I consider part of my life, so they know. But most people I interact with on a daily basis outside of Twitter have no idea at all.

11) Tell me about the people in your life. Family? Pets?
I am married in a very successful partnership. My wife is insightful, supportive, caring and loving, among many other amazing qualities. She is a big reader, so books are an important part of her life. We have two teenage kids, a boy and a girl. The boy is the younger of the two and has a physical disability that impacts his mobility. He is not wheelchair bound, but he has his challenges. We have all learned a lot from that. My son likes creative writing, my daughter and wife do not. Both kids are musical, and I love music even if I cannot play. My daughter is a science girl. We have no pets. I am allergic to dogs and cats and have very little experience around them. We used to have a tortoise. I thought he was pretty cool. I am the most playful person in my family.  That usually means I am ready to kid around and play games, and everyone else rolls their eyes, shakes their head or just totally ignores my nonsense. 

12) Where do you wish your writing to take you?
I am trying to get the courage to dream a bit bigger. Maybe I have a book in me some day. Maybe it will come out.

13) What did you expect when you joined the Twitter writing community? Did it turn out as expected?
It has been beyond my imagination. For starters, I did not intend to join the #WritingCommunity. I just did some tweets with the #vss365 hashtag and I was invited in. I was almost dragged in with the incredible enthusiasm of the community. I definitely would not have had the courage to keep writing and sharing more and more of my thoughts and feelings without the overwhelming support of that community. I remember in particular @Write2Fite giving me so much encouragement on some of my earliest writings. But many others did too and still do. It is just more than I could have ever expected.

14) Where do you write?
I write everywhere! I usually just write directly on the Twitter app on my phone. Usually I sit in a comfy chair in the morning with my coffee and write a bit. I will use work breaks to write. If an idea comes to me, I try to get it recorded somehow before it is gone. I travel for work and will write in ubers, trains, planes, hotel rooms. It gives me the freedom to express myself wherever I am. And sometimes I just write regular tweets that are not poems or stories. That is fun too. If I write something longer, I am sure I would use my laptop, and probably sit at a desk or table like an adult. 

15) How much time do you dedicate to writing, weekly?
It is hard to say, but Twitter draws you in. It is many hours per week. Sometimes I write a short poem in a couple minutes. The words just come to me. Other times I might spend most of an hour on one silly little microfiction tweet. And, honestly, the faster ones often are better even though they just pop out. 

16) Do you have other talents?
I wish I had some amazing talents, but I don’t really. I like cooking but don’t do it as much as I used to. I love live music, but I do not play. I like traveling, but that is hardly a talent. So basically…  not so much. I think I am a good husband, an attentive parent, a caring and loyal friend. I can make myself laugh (or torture myself with negativity). That will have to do for my so-called talents.

17) CHOOSE ONE:
A.             I do not mind when other writers ask for advice.
B.             I’d rather keep to myself!

I choose A.  I definitely do not mind if others ask for advice.  I am not sure if I am the best source of information and advice, but I genuinely like to interact and offer my thoughts (for what they are worth).




ABOUT MIGS

Migs was born on May 1, 2019 as a confused cartoon robot fighting a migraine at the end of a dark ominous hallway. He was clueless and confused as he emerged from the hallway into the vast bright world of Twitter, naked and alone. His first attempts at tweets fell flat. He had never written stories or poetry until he found #vss365 by accident. He decided to try and people told him, "You're a writer and a poet!" Migs was quite confused but happy. Writing is fun!

The creator of Migs is an adult human male, who is happily married with two teenage kids. He lives in the Southeastern USA, but is a Midwesterner. When he is not writing, he likes live music and soaking in a warm waffle bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris Sloan

 INTRODUCING CHRIS SLOAN Hello Chris! We’re dealing with a time difference so no hurry to respond. First question: Your first book sounds so...