Sunday 14 April 2019

Emily Bybee



INTRODUCING
EMILY BYBEE















Hi Emily!
Thanks for helping with helping
with this project!
First question:
You have a background in math and science.
Do you use your knowledge in these concrete
subjects in your work, featuring the supernatural?

Science tends to creep into my stories!
I enjoy having a scientific explanation for
some of the magical occurrences that are in 
my plots. Like my main character being a Defect, 
for example, and what that actually means. I restrain
myself from getting too heavy on the science but 
there are bits and pieces of it there and I've realized it 
is part of what I love about my stories. Hopefully the
science enhances the stories for the readers. I've had
really good feedback and even readers who aren't
particularly into science enjoy the feel that science 
gives the stories!
How cool is that?! Sounds exciting.
I'm intrigued by this story that you were
writing until your twenties. Do you still have it?
I do still have it. It is a stack of notebooks
that I wrote the first draft and then the second 
draft in. I did transfer it to digital  for the
third draft but it isn't anything that I am 
considering trying to publish at this point.
*See a sample of Emily's early, handwritten work, at the end!
Now, Emily, your daughter wants a hedgehog.
Why won't you just get her a damn hedgehog?
Oh my God!!! No more animals. She
literally is making me fill out a foster
application this morning to foster
kittens!! But the real reason is I'm afraid
one of our dogs would eat the damn 
hedgehog then she would be crushed!! I
need to move out to a farm...but then
she wants a horse!
Ha!
OK last one:
Your husband is supportive, but hasn't read
your work. Would you be nervous if he decided 
to sit down and read it all?
At this point, because it has been so 
long, I would probably be a bit nervous.
He has such complete trust in that
whatever I do I'll do it well and that is
why he believes in my writing without 
ever reading it. I might have a few
worries that he'd hate it and wonder why
he's been encouraging me all the years!!
He is going to read the romantic suspense
for me because he was in the military and
I want to be sure I'm portraying that accurately...
so we will soon find out!!
Fingers crossed! I'm sure he'll be impressed.
Thanks so much for doing this, Emily! Have a
wonderful Sunday!
Than you! Let me know if you need
anything else and you have a wonderful 
Sunday as well!


STANDARD TWEEP TATTLER QUESTIONS

1) Where do you live? 
Castle Rock, Colorado

2) What is the first thing you remember writing?
 I started out with a short story that was from a dream when I was twelve. Then I moved on to starting a novel that I didn’t finish until my early twenties!

3) Why do you write? 
I realised years ago that I’m the happiest when I’m working on a writing project. Sharing my stories fills me with so much joy – most of the time!

4) Have you published any of your work? My debut book, Fractured Magic, came out October of 2018. It is a paranormal romance and the first in the Unstable Magic series.

5) What are you currently writing? 
I just finished Fatal Magic, Book 2 in the Unstable Magic series and it is with my editor. While I wait for that I’m editing a romantic suspense to get it ready to query agents.

6) Are you currently querying? Not quite yet but hopefully in the next couple months!

7) Finish this sentence (three lines or less):
IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT… perfect for magic. The flashes of lightning and crashing thunder covered up the explosions from my less-than-impressive attempts at spells.

8) Which activities do you like to participate in, in the Twitter writing community (VSS365, etc.)? 
I have fun participating in one line Wednesday when I remember what day it is! I also like the pitchfests not only to pitch but support other authors.

9) Do you have any formal training/education for writing? 
No, actually I was a science and math geek in school and had a lot of learning to do when I decided to get serious about writing. Luckily, I found an awesome critique group that was comprised of a lot of authors with tons of knowledge to share. Because of my background, science does make its way into all my stories though!

10) Do the people in your life know that you write? 
Yes! My family and friends are extremely supportive and always have been. Although my husband has never read any of my books, he is always encouraging on this roller-coaster ride that is publishing!

11) Tell me about the people in your life. Family? Pets? I have a wonderful husband, three kids, and way too many pets. Our house is a bit of a zoo with the kids, dogs, cats, saltwater fish, chickens, and ducks. My daughter asked for a hedgehog and I finally put my foot down and said no. We compromised with agreeing to foster kittens this spring.

12) Where do you wish your writing to take you? 
I want to share my stories and also contribute to my household!

13) What did you expect when you joined the Twitter writing community? Did it turn out as expected? 
I am pleasantly surprised with the twitter community now that I’ve found the writing community. I hate the numbers games and refuse to play. I enjoy the humor, tips and understanding that I’ve found in the community.

14) Where do you write? 
I write at home, surrounded by at least two cats and two dogs at all times, sometimes with a couple trying to lay on me.

15) How much time do you dedicate to writing, weekly? 
Right now I’m home due to health issues so I dedicate about 4 hours a day to writing or marketing related things.

16)Do you have other talents? 
I have been told I’m a great cook. I crochet and knit. I love to teach and tutor math for all ages up through Trig,as well as English and Science. Plus I’m told I give amazing foot rubs!

17) CHOOSE ONE:
A. I do not mind when other writers ask for advice. – this one 
B. I’d rather keep to myself!



Emily grew up loving to read. While other kids were out and about she loved hanging out at the library. In high school and college she focused on science and graduated with a degree in environmental biology. After college she began writing again but quickly realized she had failed to take a single writing or grammar class. Luckily, she’s a quick learner.

She is a two time winner of RMFW Colorado Gold contest and now enjoys making up stories and can’t seem to leave out the paranormal elements because they are just too much fun. Her first book, Fractured Magic is available on Amazon and other platforms.




PRECIOUS ARTIFACT: 
ONE OF EMILY'S EARLY WORKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris Sloan

 INTRODUCING CHRIS SLOAN Hello Chris! We’re dealing with a time difference so no hurry to respond. First question: Your first book sounds so...