Monday 8 April 2019

Symon Vegro



INTRODUCING

SYMON VEGRO


















Hi Symon!
Poking my head in your door to
see if you're around.
Yes I am now. Sorry a bit drunk!
HAHAHA! Maybe I'll try another times
(who knows how different your answers would be)
I'm totally laughing out loud
Try me now!
Well, okay, then!
Go on
First question:
You're quite a bicyclist
Yes
What is the longest ride you've done?
Longest or hardest? Longest: 110 miles in 1 day
across France. Hardest: Mont Ventoux in a thunderstorm
Wow! You are serious!
Yup
Do you use some of your biking time
to think of writing projects?
No. It's too hard when I'm cycling. All I can
think about is getting up the climbs
all-encompassing, got it.
I'm intrigued by the fact that you
wrote your novel, "The SPC," on your
phone. 70,000 words, is it?
More than that, actually
But 70,000 words is a minimum
[Since it was on your phone] When you
were at work, church, supposed to be listening
to someone, were you madly typing up a scene?
I write all the time. Never hide it
Dedication, I like it!
OK, last one!
All of your work seems to have the element
of science or physics or ... math? Do you have
a background in any of those things?
I studied Chemistry/Biochemistry at university.
Lots of maths when we covered quantum theory
in particular. I love number theory.
Cool that you're able to combine something so
creative, and something so solid into your work.

You came across very respectable and dignified.
You are free to continue drinking, now.
Thanks, Symon!
Well thank you. I'd like to think I'm dignified and
respectable (neither term ever used in our sick
sad country by the way). It's late and I've been
drinking for hours but may have one more...
Enjoy!


STANDARD TWEEP TATTLER INTERVIEW

1) Where do you live?

A village called Redbourn, about 20 miles north of London

2) What is the first thing you remember writing?

Some poems about football.

3) Why do you write?

I love the creative process - and I love escaping to the worlds and situations that I write about.

4) Have you published any of your work?

I have three (self) published books:

‘All That You Touch’ - about how Pink Floyd wrote the soundtrack to my life

‘Gender’ - a large work of fiction about the incredible adventures of a man destined to enter another dimension within a Picasso painting and fertilise a third gender (inspired by ‘Luncheon on the Grass (after Manet)’, 1961 (in the Picasso Museum in Paris)

‘Stories of Increasing Length’ - an eclectic mix of short stories, ranging from Brexit through sexual jealousy to terrorism, and lots in between

5) What are you currently writing?

I have several writing projects on the go:

A new book of short stories

‘Astonished’ - a novel about a man who can change one event in time, and who is being hunted by all sorts of people and organisations (including the Devil and the CIA) who want to ensure that his decision coincides with their interests. Unusually, he can be tracked by his orgasms, since it is at these moments he becomes a portal to another space/time dimension
‘The SPC’ - a novel about a secret society so secret that you don’t know you’re in it - and what happens to a man when he finds out that he is a member

‘Quantum’ - a comedy about a man who exhibits quantum properties

‘Blood’ - a serious novel about people connected across time by blood (including Keats, who died of TB; a professional cyclist, who injects blood to enhance his performance; a little boy whose sister disappeared one night, and all that was left was a tiny drop of blood on her pillow)

6) Are you currently querying?
No I’m not in the process of doing it -- I’ve tried a few times before with no luck, so I haven’t bothered lately.

7) Finish this sentence (three lines or less):
IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT…

… and he wrapped his cloak tightly around him as he set off in search of his own happiness, which he had lost in his youth.

8) Which activities do you like to participate in, in the Twitter writing community (VSS365, etc.)?

I’m new to the Twitter writing community, and don’t know what these activities are. To date I’ve simply followed people, answered questions, offered advice when I can, and participated in various light-hearted threads

9) Do you have any formal training/education for writing?

One long weekend’s creative writing course many years ago - that’s it!

10) Do the people in your life know that you write?

Yes everybody who knows me does!

11) Tell me about the people in your life. Family? Pets?

I have a lovely wife, and we live with three very small fish

12) Where do you wish your writing to take you?

I’d love to be able to make a living from my writing

13) What did you expect when you joined the Twitter writing community? Did it turn out as expected?

I didn’t know what to expect, and it’s too soon to tell I think!

14) Where do you write?

Either at my desk in my study, or in the Notes app on my phone - the whole of ‘The SPC’ (over 70,000 words) was typed on an iPhone!

15) How much time do you dedicate to writing, weekly?

It varies, but I’d say on average about an hour a day - I’d like it to be more

16) Do you have other talents?

Ha - this is an interesting question. I can cycle up mountains (I’m a very keen cyclist) and I can recite Pi to 100 digits.  

17) CHOOSE ONE:
  1. I do not mind when other writers ask for advice.

  2. I’d rather keep to myself!


A - we’re all in this together!





READ ALL ABOUT SYMON:
https://about.me/symon

1 comment:

  1. It's good to meet you, Symon! Since you wrote a 70,000-word novel on your phone, maybe I should stop making snide remarks about students doing their assignments on their phones.

    ReplyDelete

Chris Sloan

 INTRODUCING CHRIS SLOAN Hello Chris! We’re dealing with a time difference so no hurry to respond. First question: Your first book sounds so...